The parents of a teen who died after suffering an allergic reaction to a Pret sandwich say their OBE honours are ‘all for her.’
Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, died after eating the sandwich on a British Airways flight from London to France.
At inquest, Pret a Manger was blasted over its food labelling practises and ordered to make ‘meaningful change.’
Rules for food producers and retailers were changed in the wake of the teen’s death.
‘Natasha’s Law,’ which comes into effect in October, will see food businesses forced to package products with a full list of ingredients.
The teen’s parents, dad Nadim, 55, and mum Tanya, 53, have been honoured with OBEs for their campaign to save lives in their daughter’s memory.
In an interview with the Sun on Sunday, they dedicated the honours to Natasha – saying they were a ‘salute’ to her.
Nadim said the OBEs were all for their daughter, and belonged to her as the family dedicated their lives to ensuring a safer world for young people with serious allergies.
The dad described losing a child as like a ‘bomb’ going off.
The parents were forced to dig themselves from the crater of grief and try to find a way to navigate life without their girl.
Nadim told the newspaper that bringing about change as their daughter’s legacy had given them purpose.
He said: “We think, ‘Would Tashi want us to fall off the face of the Earth into grief or do something to make something of her death?’.
“She wanted to try to help the world so we’re going to try to do it for her.”
Natasha had been flying to Nice, in France, for a summer holiday with her dad and her best pal in July 2016 when she bought an artichoke, olive and tapenade baguette from a Pret at Heathrow Airport.
Unknown to Natasha, the sandwich contained hidden sesame seeds.
She suffered an allergic reaction on board the flight shortly after take-off.
Her dad gave her two shots of adrenaline from her EpiPens, but she could not breathe and suffered a fatal heart attack.
Her final words were: “I can’t breathe, I’m suffocating, help me Daddy”.
The parents described how they had been through months of torture and grief.
They told how they had redecorated Natasha’s bedroom in her west London home, shortly before Christmas.
Mum Tanya said: “Just before she died Natasha said she wanted to decorate her bedroom. After she died we kept it how she had it, with her pictures, favourite books, posters and even the shoes she died in. But over time it became a reminder that she had died at 15. It became increasingly more painful to see.
“We picked the colours she had said she liked, blue and turquoise. It made us imagine Natasha as a 20-year-old.”
The family have dedicated their lives to raising awareness of allergies.
They also supported other families struggling to keep children with life-threatening allergic reactions safe, as they campaign for change.
The couple have set up the Natasha Allergy Research Foundation.